Juan's World

An inside look into the world of an average girl who lives a not-so-average life after having met face-to face with the great "I am". Living a life of purpose. Leaving a mark. Balancing her life with the things He has called her to do with the responsibilities in life. With just one wish in her heart. That one day, when she meets face to face with her Maker. To have Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant. You have ran the race well!"

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Thoughts: What’s a hungry man, Daddy?

Had a lot of fun throughout the entire writing process cause it’s been so long since I’ve done this *grin*. Really hope the readers enjoyed it as much as me. As I was putting the pieces together, these thoughts were at the back my mind:

1) Preface
This was my first attempt to romantic writing. I’ve always felt there is something very beautiful about the emotions and thoughts of a bride-to-be and wanted to include this into my story. Treading carefully as I wanted the outcome to be fairy-tale like, yet down-to-earth at the same time. (Also, bearing in mind my awful experience from sitting through horribly written try-to-be-romantic Star Wars script by George Lucas :P) The Preface being the background to the entire story, I wanted the past to be a large contrast, as opposed to how the environment was after the attacks of the aliens. At this point, as there was no indication of what kind of a story this was going to be, I wanted to have the wondering effect of, “Oh no… is this going to be one boring lovey-dovey chick stories by Juan?”

2) Chapter 1
It was intentional that Chapter 1 had absolutely no linkage to the Preface leaving an effect of, “Huh? It’s nicely written… but is this a new story?” As I was writing this Chapter, I tried to bring out emotions of the poverty-stricken Indian children when I went for missions about a year ago. There was just an acceptance to the condition that they were in because other environments were foreign to them.

3) Chapter 2
This was an attempt to develop some ‘build-up’ skills. It was sort of an Intro to what the main plot was supposed to be. Bringing the Mongrels into the picture, I wanted to develop a nagging question as to, “Who or what are these Mongrels?” and try to build up some anticipation to the next Chapter. Also, at the same time I wanted an, “Ohhh!” effect that links the bride-to-be character in Preface with the kid in Chapter 1.

4) Chapter 3
This is the revelation for the whole plot. Chapter 2 depicted a very strong Lily, who was adamant to provide for her family, from Sam’s point of view. This Chapter revealed her past, her loss of her father (hence why she was hard on Sam trying to help her), and her struggles despite the strong front she shows Sam. The challenge for this Chapter was to describe the mental picture of the alien in my head, which was actually a little bit ‘too cool’ for these destroyers. After adding in the stench and rotting skin, I felt their representation was more ‘to-the-mark’.

5) Chapter 4
There were elements of love in the Preface, poverty in Chapter 1, verbal arguments in Chapter 2, and sexual implications in Chapter 3. Bringing the story to a close, I wanted to try to add the final element to the story – physical violence (without it being too gory). The final unexpected twist was when the little boy killed the intruder, instead of his father. Whilst writing this, I’m imagining some thriller show where the main characters are struggling and suddenly everything starts to move in slow motion when everyone realized that a 3rd party made the kill instead.

6) Other thoughts
All chapters written had intentional open ends to it so that they could be exploited further. I have a good mind to actually make these 5 chapters as the background of a bigger storyline. So, erm… maybe this won’t be a short story after all *grin*. Not too soon, though… maybe in 1 or 2 month’s time - I’m kind of tired right now. A total of 3144 Words – what a feat! Please excuse me, while I crawl under a stone to hibernate *wink!* Oh yeah… I STILL haven’t figured out what category this story falls under *scratch head*

What do you think? New stories, or expand the current plot to a thicker one? *blink* *blink*

2 Comments:

  • At June 16, 2005 3:57 PM, Blogger Juan said…

    dustyhawk - Thanks.

    jonah - At current, I'll keep my ideas to myself ;) But a little insight: Alien emotions will be somewhere in Volume 4 :)

     
  • At June 17, 2005 9:15 AM, Blogger Juan said…

    Aiyor... the fixation on food ;)

    Maybe I'll go comic with my next volume series and get the humans to invent something that can zzzzap the aliens into cupcakes and everyone will have a feast! :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home