Juan's World

An inside look into the world of an average girl who lives a not-so-average life after having met face-to face with the great "I am". Living a life of purpose. Leaving a mark. Balancing her life with the things He has called her to do with the responsibilities in life. With just one wish in her heart. That one day, when she meets face to face with her Maker. To have Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant. You have ran the race well!"

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Preface: What’s a hungry man, Daddy?

The flowers were beautiful – a dozen of bright orange sunflowers with fuzzy dark brown centers, tied with a huge yellow bow. A small envelope dangling from the bow caught Lily’s eye. Her fingers trembled as she carefully plucked the envelope from the bouquet, opened it, and pulled out the card.

“To my Sunshine… with all my love.”

She read the words once, twice, three times, absorbing the affectionate words from the man she was about to spend the rest of her life with. Lily’s heart began to pound as she hugged the flowers to her chest, careful not to crush a single petal. Suddenly, she felt the entire hustle and bustle halt momentarily. The makeup artiste putting finishing touches to her hair or makeup faded away. There was no bridesmaid fussing with her off-shoulder, flowing ivory gown that draped around her shoulders and wrapped around her hips perfectly.

“Honey, you look absolutely stunning!” Hovering over her was a gigantic figure of a man, tall, with bulky, strong arms and a 45-inch beer belly. Little stubbles of facial hair were already visible on his ‘just-shaven-in-the morning’ chin. As Lily stood up, the trail of her gown fell gracefully to the floor.

Lily’s petite frame seemed like a midget next to the giant; she buried her face onto the chest of this huge, huggable bear-like figure and squealed, “Oh, pappy! This morning, the caterer forgot the tablecloths; these stringy necklace just doesn’t seem to fit the gown; and I’ve got the worst case of butterflies the ENTIRE morning. What if I trip and fall flat on my face as I walk down the aisle? Ooo… and pappy, look… look at these beautiful flowers.”

Pappy’s deep voice chuckled, “And he thought those flowers were just the thing to calm you down – you’re a bag of jitters! Honey, everything is going to be a blast. Here, these are for you.”

Lily gasped as she held a string of white pearls in her hands gingerly, “Pappy… these were the pearls you gave mama when you exchanged your vows. These were mama’s favorite. I simply couldn’t…”

“She would’ve wanted me to give you these today, especially today. She’d be so proud, if only she could see what a beautiful lady you’ve grown up to be,” Pappy choked back a tear as he recalled the memory of his late wife.

“Mr. Langhorn! Lily! There are 450 impatient guests and a nervous groom wondering what’s keeping the bride. If you do not want them to start worrying that they’ve got a runaway bride, I suggest that the both of you get moving this instant!” Lily laughed at sight of her frantic fiancée’s best man, Nicholas. She took one last long look at the reflection in the mirror as her late mother’s pearls perfected the picture. Staring back at her was a reflection of a face glowing full of joy and excitement, ready to take on the unknown challenges of marriage hood…

5 Comments:

  • At June 08, 2005 9:19 AM, Blogger Juan said…

    OK... my Preface is posted :) I promise, this Intro is the ONLY attempt I'm gonna write that has sort of a "romantic" feel to it.

    Whilst I was writing this, I cannot help but keep reminding myself that I need to come up with a better script than Lucas. I still cannot get over his line written for Padme in ROTS, "Oh, Ani... hold me, just like you did in Naboo..." *BWEKKK!* It actually sent a shiver up my spine when I was sitting right there in the cinema.

    PLEASE tell me you didn't puke whilst reading my writing *insert angelic smile*

     
  • At June 08, 2005 11:01 AM, Blogger Christine Law said…

    Hey it is nice lah.... you are so decriptive!!! I like the way you describe every single detail :) can imagine them in my mind....

    let me know if u want to publish them into a book and need some illustration... i don't mind drawing some for u :P hehheheheh

     
  • At June 08, 2005 5:09 PM, Blogger JoshTong said…

    Aiks... Didn't know u and ing ching so close wan... hahaha... First time visiting, thought I would say hi. :P

     
  • At June 09, 2005 8:44 AM, Blogger Juan said…

    ing ching - Glad that you liked the preface and thanks for the offer. Will remember next time when the opportunity arises ;)

    max - Dear ar dear... ing ching and me same LF ma. Of course close-close la. I'm her biggest blog fan :)

     
  • At June 09, 2005 9:49 PM, Blogger Christine Law said…

    Juan: you are my biggest blog fan??? I didn't know that :P thanks for being one :) Really :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home