Juan's World

An inside look into the world of an average girl who lives a not-so-average life after having met face-to face with the great "I am". Living a life of purpose. Leaving a mark. Balancing her life with the things He has called her to do with the responsibilities in life. With just one wish in her heart. That one day, when she meets face to face with her Maker. To have Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant. You have ran the race well!"

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Student ID can stop truancy

THE Education Department has been asked to make student identification cards compulsory for secondary school children to stop them from playing truant and hiding out at Cyber Cafés. Subang Jaya Municipal councillor Aftar Singh said during a joint raid with police recently, 15 students were caught playing truant at a cyber café. “The cyber café owner when queried about their presence at his outlet said he did not know that they should have been in school in the afternoon as none of them were in uniform,'' said Aftar Singh. - The Star

I'm guessing that these identification cards would indicate whether the student is from the morning or afternoon session. Otherwise, our Malaysian Identity Cards would be sufficient in telling our age, right? So if I'm a student playing truant, would I actually admit having a Student ID on me? Would I go, "Yeah... I'm supossed to be in school now. Here's proof - my ID. So, err... yeah. I'm not supposed to come in here."? I would most probably admit to have forgotten my ID, or if I'm lucky and look slightly more mature than 17 years of age then I'd be off the hook.

This wouldn't be targetting cyber cafes only, right? So, does this mean that any commercial establishments be it fast food parlours, supermarkets, or theatres will be held accountable for not checking the ID of every individual entering its premises?

I've got loads of friends who looks like they're students but in fact are well over their 20s. So, how would this new rule affect us 'young-looking' adults as well? *ponder ponder* Sigh... I have my apprehensions whether this would actually take off or not :P

5 Comments:

  • At July 27, 2005 5:26 AM, Blogger Mufaker said…

    I have no clue what truant is :/

     
  • At July 27, 2005 8:18 AM, Blogger munsta said…

    aiya...lip service only lar to show the rakyat that the govt is concerned and would like to do something about the matter.

    the nightmare is it is highly likely that these things (like most of everything concerning M'sian education) will be implemented in a rush without the authorities having thought through the implications as highlighted in your blog.

    N'mind, after a while, like everything else...everyone keeps mum about the issue and it dies a natural death! only to be recycled maybe a couple of months down the road? (most M'sians have short term memory mar!)

    btw, nice photo!

     
  • At July 27, 2005 9:02 AM, Blogger Juan said…

    Fuzz: Everyone has... *wink!* ... one time or another.

    Jonah: Like how you put it, "What's a digicam for?"

    Mufaker: Playing truant is skipping school :)

    Munsta: Ya mean, like the 'singing ut National anthem' before a movie starts? *giggle* Yeah, my take is that it'll blow over queitly... Though, I do feel parents instead of enforcement officer should be the ones playing a major role.

     
  • At July 28, 2005 5:51 AM, Blogger Mufaker said…

    Ohhh! i see, thanx :)

     
  • At July 28, 2005 10:19 AM, Blogger Juan said…

    Mufaker, Thanks for dropping by. I dropped by ur site as well.. but didn't understand your spoken language :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home