Juan's World

An inside look into the world of an average girl who lives a not-so-average life after having met face-to face with the great "I am". Living a life of purpose. Leaving a mark. Balancing her life with the things He has called her to do with the responsibilities in life. With just one wish in her heart. That one day, when she meets face to face with her Maker. To have Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant. You have ran the race well!"

Thursday, December 15, 2005

What is it about birthdays that make it so special?

Have never bothered about birthdays since like erm… as long as I could remember. Blessed with an extremely bad memory, I kind of just went along with celebrations year after year, since there’s bound to have someone remembering someone else’s birthday :P. Then about three years ago, a light bulb suddenly turned on and I saw how a person’s face lit up when their birthdays are remembered. More so, when there’s a gift that comes along with it ;) It was then I began to fill up my little inventory of birthday dates and learnt the joy of giving. Hahahahha… there were times when I would buy items for others that I’m not willing to spend on myself. It felt great though… being able to pamper people that matters in my life :)

Yet, having obtained the joy of giving… this was the first year that I experienced the joy of receiving. Since I’ve never put much weight on birthdays, I don’t expect much when my day arrives. A small, quiet dinner with family members would be sufficient. A SMS or two from close friends would be nice. Then *BOOM*… I received an overwhelming amount of love this year *hugz self*.

The exact birth date is on 11th of December 1979 (Sunday).

Thu night This year, the celebration started with a surprise sprung by my cell group members on Thursday night. Imagine that... It started on THURSDAY night *faints*. It was pretty special cause I celebrated with Jessica (birthday also on the 11th) and Christine (birthday on the 12th). Aih… I wish my digital camera was around and we could have taken some photos :( But then… if I knew, then it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore …ekkekekeke.

Fri afternoon An old secondary school friend picked me up from work. He was supposed to be on leave, so when he picked me up in working attire I was like, “Huh?” And he went, “Err… I knew you were going to be in work clothes… so, I decided to dress up a little too” *LOL*. Feeling extremely full and bloated from a three-course menu, we had a birthday cake when he suddenly started to fiddle around his pocket. I’m like, “What are you doing?” Imagine my embarrassment when he whipped out a home-brought candle and lighter…. Ahahhahaha. Come to think of it, my beetroot face wasn’t too far off from the colour of HIS embarrassed face either. Yeah, my friend is sweet ;)

Fri night Mummy and brother going away to Parit Bunta to meet up with my sister-in-law’s family on Saturday. I sulked BIG-TIME when I found out initially… “What do you mean you all not going to be around for my birthday?!?!?” *sulk* But dinner more or less made up for everything. Had great food at Pizzeria with mum, dad, Daniel and Shireen. *kick self for forgetting digicam again….grrr*

Sat Was supposed to watch Chronicles of Narnia last night. But after we lost the bookings cause we were late, we decided to watch Perhaps Love instead. Wow… I had exactly no idea Perhaps Love was a musical. I NEVER watch Hong Kong-made love stories. Sooooo boring. So, I was really pleasantly surprised. Too bad it was a midnight show and I didn’t manage to appreciate it much. Hrm… maybe I should go watch it again. *ponder ponder* Oooo… btw, Narnia was GREAT!

Sun morning *yawn* Early morning was picked up by Yoke Keng to go Cheng’s house in Valencia for a picnic. THE DAY to spend with my beloved secondary school friends!!! Wharrrr…. Beautiful scenery, wonderful company, good food (Peng’s banana crumble was AMAZING!) and great *ahem* gifts. What more can a girl ask for?

Koon with the La Senza bag. I still cannot believe he bought those stuff on his own. Little Koon Koon is finally growing up *blink blink*

Me struggling with the gift-opening ceremony which was very beautifully wrapped by Koon, I must add *grin*.

Fui-yoh… look at that see-through lingerie *faints*. Personally, I’m more of a white, pink, light blue sort of girl… these looks kind of raunchy, but I guess that’s the reason why they got it for me…hahahhahaha.

Me with the people I love. How I wish Chew Har, Seon, Wan Yong, Paul, Yuet Wen, and Tsiau Way is around :(. Clock-wise from top left: Chris, Gary, Meng Koon, Luek, Kenneth, Kuan Cheng, Yoke Keng, *me*, Poh Peng, and Kian Lee.

A close-up of the spoils for the day…

Sun night Met up with two neighbors come church friends for Korean barbeque steamboat nearby home at Damansara Perdana. Yummy! From left: *me*, Chun How, and Chris.

Pleasantly surprised with the spread we got. Personally, their Thai fish cake, lamb, beef and ice-cream was heavenly *slurp!*.

Was already a bit tired from being out the whole day yet Chun How insisted he wanted drinks at Friendster *giggle*. Too bad Juan didn’t want to budge from the comfy sofa when asked to move. Hey, did you know that you can’t have alcoholic beverages near the coffee bar? There’s apparently some law against it *hrmm…* So, when the waitress asked us to move away from the sofa, I did my puppy dog eyes which begged, “We don’t drink alchohol and let me lie on this sofa, OK?” Ahhhhh… needless to say, the birthday girl always wins *nyek nyek…*

Me posing with the guys at Friendster. The snowman is really quite cute, right?

Mon afternoon Did you know that I’m terrified of kids? Anyway, these are about the ONLY kids that I’m NOT terrified of. Hahhahaha. This is the nanny that has been taking care of me since I was a baby till I was about twelve. Her children sticks to me like super glue….ekekkeke.

Just wanted to show off this cutie pie. He’s only two years old… but my word, DOES he have the gift of the gab? He just talks, talks, talks non-stop! ALL THE TIME! Found him pretty amazing cause we were watching some Hong Kong serial movie during the ancient Chinese setting, and the kid was repeating everything the actors and actresses were saying.

Mon night Was at Kelvin’s shop’s neighbor’s wine shop (*whew* look at all the apostrophes). I tried a few sips from this Chinese beer brand called Tsing Tao. Very nice… but I was careful not to drink more than four gulps… beer keeps me awake at night :P. Kelvin and Ian was from my old cell group. From left: Kelvin, *me*, and Ian.

We moved on to watch Alleycats at The Curve. The spoils for the night… Kelvin’s stout, Ian’s Long Island, my Margarita and Friday’s Chocolate Mud Pie!!! Wheeee!!! Chocolate mud pie makes me extremely happy!

Look at the air-fro hair *giggle*. We were there early, so had some time to catch a photo with them. Found them extremely down-to-earth.

The guys in action… They will be performing there till early-January. Catch them there if you can, they’re seasoned entertainers *smiles*.

Tue night One of the ‘most-prized’ get-together this birthday was with Su Lin. She’s a good friend from primary school, but had lost contact since. After a chance-encounter at Ikano, we had sworn that this time, we’ll keep in touch. Love ya lots… *hugz* Too bad Eugene, my kindergarten-come-primary school friend, couldn’t make it that night cause he had to meet his wedding planner. Twas a great get-together, nevertheless.

This year, somehow I managed to spend some quality time with all the gems I picked up throughout my short 26 years in life – from primary school, secondary school, old cell group, new cell group, Damansara Perdana neighbors, nanny and her kids, plus my very own family.

Wow, what a long post… and with so many pictures too. Had a great celebration this year, even though my family was not around on the very day. Sorry if I sound like I’m bragging… but it sure feels great to be loved, especially during this occasion. I take back all stupid notions I had previously about birthdays not being special ;)

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home