Juan's World

An inside look into the world of an average girl who lives a not-so-average life after having met face-to face with the great "I am". Living a life of purpose. Leaving a mark. Balancing her life with the things He has called her to do with the responsibilities in life. With just one wish in her heart. That one day, when she meets face to face with her Maker. To have Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant. You have ran the race well!"

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

DISC Personality Test

Feel like taking a break from talking about Guangzhou. Am working 6 days a week, so mostly all I can share are about the prison lunches, insane amount of food during dinners, and chicken/duck talks between me and my China-born team mates *LOL*.

Me: X, You should bla bla bla bla bla…
Friend: Juan, stop. Please stop. I will never accept whatever you say to me.
Me: ???!???
Friend: You’re a sweet girl to everyone else. Why do you treat me differently?

Today, I want to share something that I’ve learnt (painfully) these couple of years dealing with relationships; albeit love, parental or friendships in general. Does everyone know what a DISC personality test is? Check it out at
DISCinsights.

Generally, all people exhibits 4 major personality styles, with varying degrees of intensity:
  • D (Drive) – Direct, Decisive, High Ego Strength, Problem Solver, Risk Taker, Self Starter
  • I (Influence) – Enthusiastic, Trusting, Optimistic, Persuasive, Talkative, Impulsive, Emotional
  • S (Steadiness) – Good listener, Team player, Possesive, Steady, Predictable, Understanding, Friendly
  • C (Compliance) – Accurate, Analytical, Conscientious, Careful, Fact-finder, Precise, High standards, Systematic
I used to have so much trouble with people who are High Ds. Their ‘direct, compulsive, sometimes proud, speaking their mind without taking other people’s feelings into consideration and without weighing consequences’ nature just drove me up the wall. The people closest to me are high Ds – my dad’s one, my ex-boyfriend’s another. Tis a curse, I tell you… a curse :D
And you know what the world teaches us? Fight fire with fire. Use poison against poison. That the person should be able to receive what they give. Uh huh… So, I believed that the only way to get through to people with a High D personality is to deal with them with the kind of stuff that they were made of, hence the conversation above commenced.

So, have you guessed what MY DISC Personality is?

I’m a CSI. My C shines like a star - I am a perfectionist and detailed in many ways. Can you imagine; when I was buying my phone… I actually created an Excel spreadsheet detailing all the phones I liked and gave it a point system with each extra feature it had to help me decide what to get :P My S is pretty prominent, I’m easily satisfied with status quo hence being with the same company for the 5th year now. My I… well you can see that in my writings judge for yourself, my friendliness level.

The uniqueness of a CSI, is when in pressure, the CSI will become a High D. Thus, when I dealt with the friend above, I was in a lot of pressure cause the stuff that was directed at me was very direct and very hurtful. So, when two hard fists hits together… guess what happens? Sighhh… a huge ugly FIGHT!

So, what does knowing one’s DISC means? The Personality Test to me, is to make ME a better person. Not as a tool to judge or handle another. Cause… when it comes to dealing with relationships, what does Christ say? Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ God forgave you. Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God (Ephesians 4:32 – 5:2).

Have you been fighting fire with fire in your relationships?

2 Comments:

  • At March 01, 2006 2:06 PM, Blogger emmyjemmy said…

    hi juan,

    been a reader for some time but always silent. i just had to comment coz i'm CSI too - my C shoots up skyward under stress but usually it's my S that's showing. I is somewhat like u - i'm friendly when u get to know me :) about being a D when the pressure is up - i can relate to that too. ask my students when they get on my nerves! haha. but yeah, it's not an excuse for anything - just so we understand ourselves and know how to deal with our weaknesses/strengths better..

     
  • At February 06, 2013 2:50 PM, Anonymous Serge said…

    When I took this exam, I got a high score in "I" and "D" was my second highest score. I guess I should work on focusing on details and listening more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home