Juan's World

An inside look into the world of an average girl who lives a not-so-average life after having met face-to face with the great "I am". Living a life of purpose. Leaving a mark. Balancing her life with the things He has called her to do with the responsibilities in life. With just one wish in her heart. That one day, when she meets face to face with her Maker. To have Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant. You have ran the race well!"

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Greetings from Guangzhou – Day 18

There are no churches in Guangzhou, but a few really big Catholic churches in Shanghai. However, we have to show our passport upon entry because the locals are not allowed to go in. The odd Buddhist that I came across whilst being here prays; but cannot have an altar at home and they cannot use joss sticks. We’ve always hear from evangelists preaching in church about how Christians are persecuted in China and how the underground churches operates; until a very important point slipped my mind - The same way the Christians are persecuted… people of other religions are too.

I totally forgot about the lack of freedom in religion until I suddenly noticed my local colleagues looked at me strangely when I was giving thanks at the table. It’s like second nature, but I guess when it’s an anomaly… it really stands out ;) Have had local colleagues come up to me asking about Christianity, the same way they’ve asked Aun Chuan about Buddhism cause they’ve noticed that he does not take beef at the dinner table.

What does this really mean? Have personally noted how cautious they are when asking such questions – and while it’s apparent that they’re curious, so if I may dare to say; they’re hungry to just lap up any information provided. Indeed, So he said to his disciples, “The harvest is large, but there are few workers to gather it in. Pray to the owner of the harvest that he will send out workers to gather in his harvest." – Matthew 9:37-38.

Whilst we’re on the topic in lack of freedom, I’ve personally experienced such a lack of freedom in information. Am guessing that it’s to disallow certain mindsets from infiltrating the minds of the locals; many sites in China are blocked. While Blogspots is blocked, I can still using blogger to post, then check the layout of my site using Google’s website translation tool to view (lucky me, the screening authorities seem to have forgotten this little loophole). Some sites have certain pictures blocked, for example CNN, Bloomberg.

My heart goes out to the people for an oppression that they might not even know they are in.

Papa in Heaven, I pray for the people here that they can meet with you, even with the lack of freedom to gain knowledge in the physical. You’ve said in Proverbs 8, that You raise your voice to all mankind. All who are simple will gain prudence. All who are foolish will gain understanding. Indeed, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of all wisdom, the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Let them meet with you, so they would gain such wisdom and understanding, in Jesus Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home